Kelp is a general name describing several species of seaweed. Used in many oriental countries as a staple food, kelp is still more than 20% of the native Japanese diet. Rich in iodine, iron, copper, magnesium and calcium, kelp is also an excellent source of many trace minerals.
Diagnose your symptoms now!
- identify any nutritional deficiencies
- have a doctor review your case (optional)
- learn what you should be doing right now
One of the more common kelp sources is the Atlantic kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum), although sometimes bladderwrack (Fucus vesiculosus) is sold as kelp.
Function; Why it is Recommended
Most often when kelp is added to a supplement it is for the iodine content. Iodine is important for the proper function of the thyroid, which in turn is responsible for keeping the bodies temperature regulated, proper development and function of female reproductive organs, as well as a whole host of minor biological functions.
Kelp is recommended for many conditions, including the following:
- Acidosis: Kelp (about 5 tablets daily) has proved helpful in reducing acid in the body. It also aids in maintaining a proper balance of minerals.
- Kelp is recommended when pus accumulates in a particular part of the body due to infection and if an abscess forms.
- Aluminum Toxicity: Kelp (6 tablets daily) acts as a detoxifier of excess metals and is very helpful as it has a balanced mineral content.
- Alzheimer's Disease: Kelp (5 tables daily) is helpful in supplying minerals in the recovery process.
- Anorexia Nervosa: Kelp is a helpful recommendation (6 tablets daily) for mineral replacement. Kelp is also helpful for Bulimia.
- Arsenic Poisoning: Kelp serves a very important role (6 tablets daily) in detoxifying and its high mineral content is very helpful.
- Arthritis: Kelp (8 tablets daily) provides a rich source of minerals in the recovery process.
- Asthma: 10 tablets daily for 21 days then reducing to 3 a day provides minerals in balanced amounts and proven helpful.
- Bedsores: 6 tablets daily provides minerals and is helpful in giving relief.
- Boils: 6 tablets daily coupled with warm Epsom salt baths have proven very helpful.
- Breast Cancer: 5 tablets daily provide a good mineral balance to feel better and look at everything in a different light.
- Bulimia: 6 tablets daily supply the needs of iodine as a part of long-term treatment to improve self-esteem.
- Cancer: Obesity is one of the factors linked to cancer, especially in women. Overweight women are more likely to develop cancer of the uterine lining than other women are plus they run the risk of having cancer of the gall bladder, cervical and breast cancer. Obesity in men may cause colon and rectal cancer. Kelp (5 tablets daily) has produced very good results in checking the weight and provides a healthy balance of minerals with overall feelings of well-being.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Prevention is the key to maintaining a healthy heart and keeping your weight is recommended, so that not being obese prevents heart attacks and high blood pressure. 3 tablets with meals provide a rich source of important vitamins, minerals and trace elements and help in weight reduction.
- Chlamydia: 6 tablets daily have helped in the post recovery phase by providing a rich source of minerals and keeping the urinary system functioning well.
- Dandruff: 5 tablets daily supplies needed minerals, especially iodine, and is very important for better hair growth and healing of the scalp.
- DDT Poisoning: 6 tablets daily provide necessary vitamins, minerals and trace elements. It also aids in removing toxic metals.
- Depression: Kelp is a complete natural vitamin and mineral supplement and improves energy in conditions of underactive thyroid.
- Dermatitis: 5 tablets daily helps in normalizing the system and helps in replacing lost minerals.
- Edema: 5 tablets daily helps in removing excessive fluid accumulations in the body.
- Emphysema: 5 tablets daily helps in removing stale air trapped in the lungs.
- Endometriosis: Kelp (2 tablets, 3 times daily) has proven helpful in this female disorder by supplying needed minerals and aiding in hormone imbalance.
- Environmental Toxicity: 2 tablets daily helps in providing Vitamin A, Vitamin B complex and the trace minerals in natural proportion.
- Epilepsy: Nutritional supplementation is important for those who suffer from epilepsy and Kelp (5 tablets daily) is helpful in providing necessary mineral balance.
- Fibrocystic Disease of the Breast: Kelp (6 tablets daily) is a rich source of iodine. The Medical College of Pennsylvania states that an iodine deficiency is a common reason for fibrocystic disease.
- Food Poisoning: The natural detoxifier action of Kelp (5 tablets daily) is curative and it also contains the needed minerals for the recovery process.
- Fractures: 5 tablets daily are a rich source in calcium and minerals in a natural balance.
- Frigidity: Vitamin deficiency can cause a deficiency in estrogens levels and result in improper lubrication. Kelp (8 tablets daily) is a good source of important minerals and iodine.
- Gangrene: Kelp (6 tablets daily) supplies a rich source of chlorophyll and minerals and is good for circulation. It is also an effective blood cleanser.
- Glandular System: The parathyroid glands are imbedded in the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland helps control the body's rate of metabolism. The parathyroid glands help maintain the proper level of nutrients, such as calcium and phosphorus. The glands work with the other organs of the body to keep it in a state of health. When one gland is not functioning properly, it needs to be treated or all of the glands will eventually malfunction. Kelp (5 tablets daily) is a very important source and is rich in minerals and the element iodine, which is necessary for thyroid function.
- Gout: Kelp (6 tablets daily) is an important supplement containing complete protein and vital minerals to reduce serum uric acid.
- Growth Problems: Growth problems occur when the pituitary gland or the thyroid bland does not function, as it should. Kelp, containing natural iodine, corrects the iodine deficiency, which may be the cause of growth problems.
- Hypothyroidism: This is the underproduction of the thyroid hormone and is a very common condition. Kelp (10 tablets daily) contains iodine, the basic substance of the thyroid hormone and is an essential supplement for this condition.
- Hair Loss: Thyroid gland malfunction can be the cause of hair loss and Kelp (5 tablets daily) supplies needed minerals for proper hair growth.
- Hay Fever: 5 tablets daily in the recovery process are very helpful and provide a rich source of minerals.
- High Blood Pressure: One of the factors that lead to the condition of high blood pressure is excess weight. Kelp (5 tablets daily) is very helpful in normalizing the weight and it can also help to detoxify the body.
- Inflammation: Kelp (5 tablets daily) contains a balance of essential minerals and chlorophyll which cleanses the blood and is restorative in reducing the inflammation.
- Lead Poisoning: Lead is one of the most toxic metal contaminants. It is a cumulative poison that is retained in the central nervous system, bones, brain, glands and hair. Kelp (6 tablets daily) contains essential minerals especially calcium and magnesium. It is also an indispensable supplement for removal of unwanted metal deposits.
- Lupus: Mild cases of Lupus respond well to supplements that build up the immune system and Kelp (5 tablets daily) supplies those commonly deficient.
- Lyme Disease: Kelp (5 tablets daily) helps in the treatment of the disorder by strengthening the immune system. It also contains essential vitamins and minerals and aids in detoxifying the body. (As yet there is no specific antibiotic therapy for this disorder.)
- Mercury Toxicity: As with the other cases of toxic metal poisoning, Kelp serves a very significant function in removing the toxins from the body.
- Obesity: Kelp (6 tablets daily) provides balanced minerals and iodine and aids in weight loss.
- Osteoporosis: A good source of easy to assimilate calcium is Kelp (10 tablets daily.) Lack of calcium is the major cause of osteoporosis.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy it is important than ever to have a balanced diet high in nutrients and fiber. Take Kelp as directed on the label. Kelp is rich in necessary minerals.
- PMS: Kelp (5 to 6 tablets daily) is a good source of needed minerals; helps protect thyroid function. Diet is an important contributing factor to Premenstrual Syndrome. Among suspected causes is deficiency in vitamins and/or minerals.
- Prostate Cancer: Kelp (5 tablets daily) for mineral balance will help you feel better.
- Prostatitis: Kelp (5 to 6 tablets daily) supplies necessary minerals for improved prostate function.
- Psoriasis: (5 tablets daily) Kelp is an important supplier of balanced minerals and a good source of iodine.
- Radiation sickness: Kelp (6 tablets daily) is helpful as it contains necessary minerals especially iodine to protect against accumulation of Sr-90.
- Rheumatic fever: (5 tablets daily) because of Kelp's essential nutrients.
- Rosacea: Kelp (5 to 6 tablets daily) supplies balanced minerals needed for good skin tone.
- Scabies: (5 tablets daily) for a supply of balanced minerals.
- Schizophrenia: Kelp ( 5 tablets daily) contains balanced essential minerals.
- Seborrhea: Kelp (6 tablets daily) contains balanced minerals and is a good source of iodine.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Kelp is important (6 tablets daily). It supplies balanced vitamins and minerals.
- Skin Cancer: For mineral balance, use Kelp in tablet forms (5 to 6 tablets).
- Tumor: Kelp (6 tablets) promotes immune functions and supplies balanced minerals.
- Vertigo: Take 5 tablets daily for necessary balanced minerals and vitamins.
- Weakened Immune System: Kelp (10 tablets daily) supplies a balance of minerals needed for immune system integrity.
- Wrinkling of Skin: Important (5 to 6 tablets daily ) Kelp supplies balanced minerals needed for good skin tone.