Neuritis is the inflammation of a peripheral nerve or nerves often accompanied by degenerative changes in nervous tissue. A neuropathy involves either a cranial nerve or spinal nerve. At times, several different groups of nerves in various parts of the body may be involved. This condition is known as polyneuritis or polyneuropathy.
Incidence; Causes and Development
Some form of neuropathy
affects 1 person in 400.
The causes of nerve pathology include:
- Mechanical from injury, pressure, overworking a part of the body
- Vascular (blockage of a vessel or hemorrhage into nerve tissue)
- Infectious as in shingles, diptheria, polio, tetanus, or leprosy
- Toxic from heavy metals like arsenic, mercury and lead; chemical poisoning from organo-phosphates, drugs or alcohol; vaccination as in Guillain Barré syndrome
- Metabolic from acidosis, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes.
Signs and Symptoms
Symptoms of neuritis
that arise from the involvement of sensory nerves include tingling, burning, pins-and-needles sensations, stabbing or even loss of sensation. If motor nerves are involved, symptoms may range from a slight loss of muscle tone to paralysis
with muscle wasting. Since neuritis is regarded as a condition that results from a number of disorders, rather than a disease in itself, treatment is directed first at the underlying cause.
Treatment and PreventionHomeopathic.
Specific remedies to be given 4 times daily for up to 2 weeks while constitutional help is being sought:
- Nerves flare up after exposure to cold, affected part of body feels congested as well as numb: Aconite 30c
- Attack brought on by dry cold, person feels chilly, exhausted, restless burning or searing pains: Arsenicum 6c
- Attack brought on by cold or damp, pain violent and lacerating, and better for application of heat especially if person is suffering from facial neuralgia: Colocynth 6c
- Pain worse after sleep: Lachesis 6c
- Pain alleviated by heat and pressure: Magnesia phos. 6c
- Neuralgia affecting rib cage or located above right eye: Ranunculus 6c
- Pain above left eye, made worse by movement: Spigelia 6c