Burning sensation on legs

Moderators: Dave, Stefan

Burning sensation on legs

Postby Washand » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:36 pm

My elderly mother (aged 87), who is otherwise in good shape for her age, has a burning sensation on the skin of both her legs below the knees which only happens when she goes to sleep. It wakes her up in the night and the skin of her legs looks quite pink and is warmer than might be expected to touch. However, the burning sensation can continue even after her legs have cooled down (to touch) by exposure to cold air. This keeps her awake for hours and so she gets very tired from losing sleep. Her doctors can't give a diagnosis and can't offer much help. I am not sure whether it is a circulatory or nerve problem, or both, but I would be very grateful for information if this is a known phenomenon. Thank you very much.
Washand

Re: Burning sensation on legs

Postby Dr_Brody_DC » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:02 am

Washand wrote:My elderly mother (aged 87), who is otherwise in good shape for her age, has a burning sensation on the skin of both her legs below the knees which only happens when she goes to sleep. It wakes her up in the night and the skin of her legs looks quite pink and is warmer than might be expected to touch. However, the burning sensation can continue even after her legs have cooled down (to touch) by exposure to cold air. This keeps her awake for hours and so she gets very tired from losing sleep. Her doctors can't give a diagnosis and can't offer much help. I am not sure whether it is a circulatory or nerve problem, or both, but I would be very grateful for information if this is a known phenomenon. Thank you very much.

Dear Washand,

Both circulation and nerves may be involved, but the burning is primarily a nerve symptom. Either (both) could be due to diabetes, a deficiency of vitamins B1, B6, or B12, or toxic amounts of B6 (possibly B3) if she takes megadoses of B-vitamins. These can all be measured by blood tests. If your doctors have ruled out vitamin deficiency simply based on her food/vitamin intake, this may not be accurate, as absorption may be poor regardless of how well she eats. Your mom may need a hydrochloric acid (HCl) supplement with her meals in that case, to boost absorption. In the meantime, there are cayenne pepper-based creams that can be quite effective against the burning sensation (which is probably triggered by contact with the bedsheets.)
Dr_Brody_DC
Doctor

Return to Skin Problems